There are several “checks” one can undertake to determine whether air duct cleaning is needed:
* Presence of mold growth inside sheet metal ducts or on other components of the heating and cooling system.
* Ducts are infested with vermin, e.g. (rodents or insects)
* Ducts are clogged with excessive amounts of dust and debris and/or particles are actually released into the home from your supply registers.
HOW TO KNOW FOR SURE?
|a) Check your furnace filter, if it looks as dirty as this, then you should consider this service.||b) Locate a return vent on the main floor and use your smartphone to take a picture of the inside. If it looks as dirty as this, then you should consider this service.|
Consider the following additional reasons why you may want to have your ducts cleaned:
1. Occupants with allergies or asthma who might benefit from a reduction in the amount indoor contaminants found in your home’s HVAC system.
2. Occupants with pets or other animals (pet/animal dander)
3. Occupants that smoke
4. Occupants that have any renovations (sawdust from new hardwood floors, drywall dust from sanding etc)
5. There is an abundance of occupants living in the home (dead skin cells, hairs etc)
6. There is an overabundance of mature tress and weeds (pollen, dead insects etc)
7. There are cold returns on the floor instead of the wall (it’s easier for dirt/debris to enter into grilles that you walk on)
8. You are a new home owner (construction debris etc)
9. In your home’s history, there has never been any duct cleaning performed before
Remember, the HVAC system of your home are the lungs of your home. They supply air and then return air back into your environment. It’s important to keep these pathways clean, otherwise whatever may be in there are bound to be recycled back into your living space.